Mother charged in death of Lehigh Co. child shot in crib
SLATINGTON, Pa. (AP) - October 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Lehigh County have charged a mother with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a 19-month-old boy hit by a gunshot in his crib.
26-year-old Holly Pallone was arraigned Sunday morning from Lehigh County prison on that charge along with reckless endangerment.
According to the arrest affidavit, officers were sent to a Slatington apartment late Saturday and found Anthony Pallone Jr. in the crib with a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead less than an hour later, said county coroner Scott Grim, who ruled the death a homicide and scheduled an autopsy for Monday.
Pallone said she had taken the Smith and Wesson .44 caliber weapon from a shelf because she planned to sell it later that night. As she was trying to unload the gun while sitting on her bed next to the crib, she apparently caught the hammer and the weapon discharged, according to court records.
On Sunday, Pallone answered District Judge Michael D'Amore's questions about whether she understood the charges by saying 'Yes, sir" until the judge informed her that he was setting bail at $1 million.
"I have no way of making that," she said.
The judge tentatively scheduled a preliminary hearing for Oct. 15.
Court records indicate that Pallone will be represented by the county public defender's office, where a message seeking comment could not be left Sunday.
lehigh county, shooting, local/state
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy 16 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 4 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over 57 min ago
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
4 min ago