Shooting, robbery at North Phila. SEPTA subway station
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a shooting at a SEPTA subway station in North Philadelphia.
Authorities were called around 7:40 p.m. Sunday for the report of a robbery and shooting at the Broad and Glenwood SEPTA subway station.
Upon arrival, police found a 53-year-old man shot in the hip.
The man told police he was shot as he walked from the subway platform after exiting the train.
The man believes the shooter was on same train as him and walked 10 feet in front of him as he was exiting the concourse.
The victim says the suspect walked up the subway stairs and quickly turned around to face him. The shooter pointed a handgun at the victim and said, "Give it up."
The victim turned and attempted to run back towards the subway platform.
Police say the suspect then fired the gun one time striking the 53-year-old in the hip.
The victim collapsed and the shooter demanded money again.
The victim gave the shooter his wallet containing $280 and credit cards.
SEPTA patrol officers inside the station heard the gunshot.
The officers checked the area and saw the suspect running from the subway station.
SEPTA police officers pursued the shooter on foot and notified their radio dispatch.
Police lost sight of the male suspect near the 2700 block of 15th Street.
The victim was transported to Temple University Hospital by medics and is listed in stable condition.
The suspect is described as a black male in his 30s, 6', brown skin, thin build, wearing a light blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and sneakers.
philadelphia, robbery, shooting, SEPTA, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees