Shooting, robbery at North Phila. SEPTA subway station
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a shooting at a SEPTA subway station in North Philadelphia.
Authorities were called around 7:40 p.m. Sunday for the report of a robbery and shooting at the Broad and Glenwood SEPTA subway station.
Upon arrival, police found a 53-year-old man shot in the hip.
The man told police he was shot as he walked from the subway platform after exiting the train.
The man believes the shooter was on same train as him and walked 10 feet in front of him as he was exiting the concourse.
The victim says the suspect walked up the subway stairs and quickly turned around to face him. The shooter pointed a handgun at the victim and said, "Give it up."
The victim turned and attempted to run back towards the subway platform.
Police say the suspect then fired the gun one time striking the 53-year-old in the hip.
The victim collapsed and the shooter demanded money again.
The victim gave the shooter his wallet containing $280 and credit cards.
SEPTA patrol officers inside the station heard the gunshot.
The officers checked the area and saw the suspect running from the subway station.
SEPTA police officers pursued the shooter on foot and notified their radio dispatch.
Police lost sight of the male suspect near the 2700 block of 15th Street.
The victim was transported to Temple University Hospital by medics and is listed in stable condition.
The suspect is described as a black male in his 30s, 6', brown skin, thin build, wearing a light blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and sneakers.
philadelphia, robbery, shooting, SEPTA, local/state
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 37 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
37 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
40 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos