Emotional reunion for Northeast Philly sailor
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was quite a homecoming for a sailor in Northeast Philadelphia.
Escorted by the veterans' group Warriors' Watch, it was a hero's welcome for Navy Corpsman Anthony Hunt.
Sporting a yellow ribbon, his dog Brewski was the first to greet Hunt as he arrived in Northeast Philadelphia after a 7-month tour of duty where he served as a medic with a Marine Sniper Unit in Afghanistan.
"I'm not a big attention person so I didn't expect all of this," Corpsman Hunt said.
"I'm glad that he's out of there, I was a mess the whole 7 months, as all of us were. But I'm glad he's out of there and he's safe," wife Ashley Hunt said.
Neighbors draped the area with yellow ribbons as friends and family emotionally embraced the 23 year old father Judge High School grad.
Hunt, changed by his war experience, thanked the crowd and asked them to remember those who didn't make it home.
"Just ask you to continue praying for the families of my brothers that were lost over there and that their families stay strong and make it through," Corpsman Hunt said.
Anthony is home for what's called a 96, just 96 hours, or 4 days of leave before he has to report back home to his base in California.
"My heart was pumping like you wouldn't believe when I was standing at that airport and I saw him coming through that gate," stepfather Joe Yeager said.
Anthony's parents met him at Philadelphia International Monday afternoon.
Seeing and holding him was the answer to his mom's prayers and the prayers of many others who've come through the lab where she works.
"I would mooch prayers off every single patient that came in for years and I believe in the power of prayer," Dee Yeager said.
Home safe now from war, what is it Anthony's been looking forward to?
"Wawa and Steve's Steaks," Corpsman Hunt said.
Welcome home, Corpsman. Is that "wit" or "witout" cheese?
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, local/state, nora muchanic
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy