Emotional reunion for Northeast Philly sailor
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - October 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was quite a homecoming for a sailor in Northeast Philadelphia.
Escorted by the veterans' group Warriors' Watch, it was a hero's welcome for Navy Corpsman Anthony Hunt.
Sporting a yellow ribbon, his dog Brewski was the first to greet Hunt as he arrived in Northeast Philadelphia after a 7-month tour of duty where he served as a medic with a Marine Sniper Unit in Afghanistan.
"I'm not a big attention person so I didn't expect all of this," Corpsman Hunt said.
"I'm glad that he's out of there, I was a mess the whole 7 months, as all of us were. But I'm glad he's out of there and he's safe," wife Ashley Hunt said.
Neighbors draped the area with yellow ribbons as friends and family emotionally embraced the 23 year old father Judge High School grad.
Hunt, changed by his war experience, thanked the crowd and asked them to remember those who didn't make it home.
"Just ask you to continue praying for the families of my brothers that were lost over there and that their families stay strong and make it through," Corpsman Hunt said.
Anthony is home for what's called a 96, just 96 hours, or 4 days of leave before he has to report back home to his base in California.
"My heart was pumping like you wouldn't believe when I was standing at that airport and I saw him coming through that gate," stepfather Joe Yeager said.
Anthony's parents met him at Philadelphia International Monday afternoon.
Seeing and holding him was the answer to his mom's prayers and the prayers of many others who've come through the lab where she works.
"I would mooch prayers off every single patient that came in for years and I believe in the power of prayer," Dee Yeager said.
Home safe now from war, what is it Anthony's been looking forward to?
"Wawa and Steve's Steaks," Corpsman Hunt said.
Welcome home, Corpsman. Is that "wit" or "witout" cheese?
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, local/state, nora muchanic
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 27 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 20 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?