Kids sickened by fumes at Philadelphia school
HOLMESBURG - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia school had to be evacuated after dozens of students were sickened by fumes Tuesday morning.
The incident happened around 9:40 a.m. at the Joseph H. Brown School in the 3600 block of Stanwood.
Fire crews and medic units were called in after children became sick after smelling fumes that officials say came from a faulty generator that started after the school lost power.
Fifty-three students had to be taken to five area hospitals to be treated for nausea and dizziness.
Other children were evaluated at the scene.
Distraught parents arrived to the school to check on their children. Nearly 600 students had been evacuated from the 3-story building.
Many parents decided to take their kids home.
Authorities from the Fire Department initially said carbon monoxide was detected, but the reading turned out not to be high.
carbon monoxide, school, children, torresdale, philadelphia, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower