Teen girl critical after Lakewood hit-and-run
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the driver who ran down a 17-year-old girl in a crosswalk on Sunday night in Lakewood, New Jersey.
The victim, Jenifer Gavilanez of Lakewood, remains in critical condition after emergency brain surgery.
Witnesses told police that Gavilanez was trying to cross Kennedy Boulevard at Clifton Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle around 7:30 p.m.
Based on evidence from the scene, police believe they are looking for a tan or light colored 2006 or 2007 Jeep Liberty.
Those witnesses also told police the vehicle, which had a green light, continued going eastbound on Kennedy after the impact.
Police say the vehicle likely has damage on the passenger side, a broken turn signal and a passenger side mirror that maybe hanging off or has broken glass.
Anyone with information should contact the Lakewood Police at 732-363-0200.
new jersey, ocean county, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 46 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 13 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Police search for suspects in religious...
13 min ago