Teen girl critical after Lakewood hit-and-run
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the driver who ran down a 17-year-old girl in a crosswalk on Sunday night in Lakewood, New Jersey.
The victim, Jenifer Gavilanez of Lakewood, remains in critical condition after emergency brain surgery.
Witnesses told police that Gavilanez was trying to cross Kennedy Boulevard at Clifton Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle around 7:30 p.m.
Based on evidence from the scene, police believe they are looking for a tan or light colored 2006 or 2007 Jeep Liberty.
Those witnesses also told police the vehicle, which had a green light, continued going eastbound on Kennedy after the impact.
Police say the vehicle likely has damage on the passenger side, a broken turn signal and a passenger side mirror that maybe hanging off or has broken glass.
Anyone with information should contact the Lakewood Police at 732-363-0200.
new jersey, ocean county, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 51 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 49 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
49 min ago