Teen girl critical after Lakewood hit-and-run
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the driver who ran down a 17-year-old girl in a crosswalk on Sunday night in Lakewood, New Jersey.
The victim, Jenifer Gavilanez of Lakewood, remains in critical condition after emergency brain surgery.
Witnesses told police that Gavilanez was trying to cross Kennedy Boulevard at Clifton Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle around 7:30 p.m.
Based on evidence from the scene, police believe they are looking for a tan or light colored 2006 or 2007 Jeep Liberty.
Those witnesses also told police the vehicle, which had a green light, continued going eastbound on Kennedy after the impact.
Police say the vehicle likely has damage on the passenger side, a broken turn signal and a passenger side mirror that maybe hanging off or has broken glass.
Anyone with information should contact the Lakewood Police at 732-363-0200.
new jersey, ocean county, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- 2 injured in crash on I-95 near Cottman in Tacony
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra