Teen girl critical after Lakewood hit-and-run
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the driver who ran down a 17-year-old girl in a crosswalk on Sunday night in Lakewood, New Jersey.
The victim, Jenifer Gavilanez of Lakewood, remains in critical condition after emergency brain surgery.
Witnesses told police that Gavilanez was trying to cross Kennedy Boulevard at Clifton Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle around 7:30 p.m.
Based on evidence from the scene, police believe they are looking for a tan or light colored 2006 or 2007 Jeep Liberty.
Those witnesses also told police the vehicle, which had a green light, continued going eastbound on Kennedy after the impact.
Police say the vehicle likely has damage on the passenger side, a broken turn signal and a passenger side mirror that maybe hanging off or has broken glass.
Anyone with information should contact the Lakewood Police at 732-363-0200.
new jersey, ocean county, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 59 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
32 min ago