Teen girl critical after Lakewood hit-and-run
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the driver who ran down a 17-year-old girl in a crosswalk on Sunday night in Lakewood, New Jersey.
The victim, Jenifer Gavilanez of Lakewood, remains in critical condition after emergency brain surgery.
Witnesses told police that Gavilanez was trying to cross Kennedy Boulevard at Clifton Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle around 7:30 p.m.
Based on evidence from the scene, police believe they are looking for a tan or light colored 2006 or 2007 Jeep Liberty.
Those witnesses also told police the vehicle, which had a green light, continued going eastbound on Kennedy after the impact.
Police say the vehicle likely has damage on the passenger side, a broken turn signal and a passenger side mirror that maybe hanging off or has broken glass.
Anyone with information should contact the Lakewood Police at 732-363-0200.
new jersey, ocean county, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 47 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 46 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave.