Mourning teen sisters killed in Ocean Co. crash
JACKSON TWP., N.J. - October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- A school and a community are grieving after a head-on crash killed two teenage sisters in Ocean County, NJ.
"I heard this big bang," said hot dog vendor John Luhrs. "I wasn't sure what it was. I poked my head out the door and I saw it was a bad automobile accident."
Luhrs was just down the road from where 17-year-old Jamie Nicholson and her 15-year-old sister, Francesca, were killed Tuesday evening in a horrible head-on collision.
"This is a terrible tragedy," said Linda Wood, manager of the Jackson Deli, "and I can't imagine what the parents are going through now."
It was 5:17 p.m. and South Hope Chapel Road was wet when police say Jamie Nicholson lost control of the Mercedes Benz she was driving, crossed the center line and crashed head-on into a minivan driven by a 47-year-old Toms River man who was not seriously hurt.
"Our Traffic Safety Unit is looking into the wet road conditions as well as possible excessive speed as being a contributing factor," said Jackson Township Police Sergeant Chris Parise.
Jamie, a senior, took most of her classes at MATES, the maritime magnet school in Manahawkin. Francesca was a junior, and both girls were active in the Jaguar marching band, Jamie in the color guard, Francesca in the flag line.
"It was a very somber day as you can imagine at Jackson Memorial High School," said principal Kevin DiEugenio. "This is a difficult event, particularly the popularity of the students. They're very popular students."
Crisis response teams were brought in to deal with grieving students as they, and the community, come to grips with this double tragedy.
"It's a shame," said Mario Maniglia of Maurizio's Pizza Shop. "They didn't even start their lives yet. It's a shame."
accident, teens, ocean county, new jersey, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station