Suspects ID'd in Mayfair heroin bust (PHOTOS)
MAYFAIR - October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Four men are facing charges following the bust of a major heroin operation in Philadelphia's Mayfair section Tuesday evening.
Philadelphia narcotics officers shuttled evidence from a Mayfair house last night, which they say served as a stash house for a $1.5 million dollar heroin operation.
Neighbors were stunned to learn what was going on behind doors on a block that's home to many families.
PHOTOS: WEBSITE and iPAD VISITORS | WIRELESS VISITORS
Neighbor Jennifer Majka tells Action News, "You know it's here. You know people are doing it. But of that magnitude?"
Vanessa Waters of Mayfair says, "I'm shocked. It's usually very quiet around here. I've been living around here for almost three years, and I'm really shocked."
Police confiscated more than 5 kilograms of heroin with a street value of $1,881,330.00, 420 grams of cocaine with a street value of $42,000.00, and more than $15,000 in cash. They also found drug paraphernalia used in the alleged operations like grinders, strainers, and cellophane wrap, as well as a loaded 22-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver.
47-year-old Felix Fernandez of McKinley Street, 26-year-old Ramon Pedrava of 1300 Elbridge, 36-year-old Frank Hidalgo of 1300 S Howard Street in Allentown, and 48-year-old Henry Lewis Diaz of 600 E Diamond Street were arrested.
Police say this bust was the result of an undercover sting that began with a surveillance operation on Elbridge Street. That led them to the house on McKinley, where neighbors have seen little activity from the outside.
Jennifer Majka explains, "They appeared vacant for over a year now. But my older daughter said that she had seen a few times around 3:00 in the morning go in and out, a guy. But what they found last night was very shocking."
All four suspects are facing possession and possession with intent to deliver charges. This all remains under investigation.
drugs, mayfair, philadelphia, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 59 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 41 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 44 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 55 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 43 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing 22 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 20 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
59 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
20 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
41 min ago
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia...
55 min ago