The tailor behind the Philadelphia Eagles' uniform
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- There's the front office. There's Andy Reid and a full complement of assistant coaches. There are trainers, and dozens of people you never see. But the Eagles secret weapon could be a little store in South Philly.
Pasquale and Anna Scioli operate a tailor shop at 1744 East Passyunk Avenue.
Fourteen years ago, then-new coach Andy Reid suggested that uniforms would perform better if they were tailored.
A member of his staff suggested the Sciolis and they've been the team tailors ever since.
They operate a full-service shop, selling men's clothing off the rack but pin-fitting it to perfection. And increasingly over the last several seasons, they've done the same for the Eagles game-day attire.
Pasquale told Action News it takes eight cuts just to make one sleeve fit right. Other tailoring makes the body nice and tight so opponents have little to grab.
Anna showed us how they use special thread, color-coordinated, of course, but stronger than what they use for everyday garments. So the tailoring holds.
The couple also gets to repair tears and other wear on game-worn jerseys and affixes the name banners you see above the numbers.
Everything remains the property of the Eagles...no "souvenirs".
Over the seasons, many players have come to appreciate the Scioli attention to detail and became customers for their "street" clothes.
Pasquale pin-fits everything. He says the chalk most-commonly used can leave marks even after laundering. They don't custom-make clothing but sell quality garments they can make fit that way. The shop has no website but you may phone them at 215-334-0990.
philadelphia eagles, philadelphia, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands