Chopper in fatal Pa. crash was nearing airport
TOBYHANNA, Pa. - October 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board says a helicopter involved in a crash that killed two people and injured a third in northeastern Pennsylvania had hit trees as it approached an airport.
NTSB spokesman Peter Knudson says the helicopter crashed after striking the trees. Authorities say the site of Tuesday night's crash site in Coolbaugh Township is about a mile from the airport.
The NTSB says it will be conducting an investigation on the crash throughout the week.
Authorities have identified the victims as 52-year-old William Ellsworth, of Califon N.J., and 51-year-old Tighe Sullivan, of Darien, Conn. A third man, Stephen Barral, of Bernardsville, N.J., was seriously hurt.
Officials say the men were on their way back from a golf outing in New York and hit bad weather.
pennsylvania, monroe county, helicopter crash, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 32 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 24 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
18 min ago