DA: 8 faked SEPTA crash claims (PHOTOS)
PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight people have been charged for allegedly faking injuries following a minor SEPTA bus crash, the Philadelphia District Attorney's office announced on Thursday.
Of those charged, only two people were actually on the bus when the accident happened, District Attorney Seth Williams said in a statement.
The accident happened back on December 23rd, 2009. The bus was stopped at 15th and Walnut streets when the right mirror of a passing Loomis armored car hit the left mirror of the SEPTA bus.
The armored car was not damaged, and the bus had just a scratch, Williams said.
At the time, no passengers reported injuries.
However, all of the accused retained the same attorney to file bodily injury claims, Williams said, and were treated at the Center City Medical Center for alleged injuries including back and neck pain. The combined medical bills totaled $80,000, according to Williams.
Williams went on to say that one of the suspects, 46-year-old Eric Lovett of the 2200 block of North 17th Street, who is seen on video to be outside the bus, requested an "incident card" from the driver. He then allegedly went on to recruit five others and convinced them to file false insurance claims.
Williams said the defendant's attorney also sued the Brinks Company, mistakenly believing it to be the owner of the armored car. Even after being informed that the car belonged to Loomis, the defendants' attorney still pursued the claim against Brinks.
Charged with Criminal Conspiracy, Attempted Theft by Deception and Insurance Fraud are:
46-year-old Eric Lovett of 2200 block of N. 17th Street
48-year-old Kitt Smith of the 1500 block of S. Stillman Street
56-year-old Avis Jackson of 1200 block of S. 31st Street
36-year-old Stephanie Williams of 2200 block of N. 17th Street
21-year-old Malik Spivey of 900 block of W. Champlost Ave
Charged with Criminal Conspiracy, Attempted Theft by Deception, Insurance Fraud, Perjury and Unsworn Falsification are:
55-year old Arthur Whaley of 1300 block of Wells Street
46-year-old Faith Rowley of 1200 block of S. 31st Street
45-year-old Lorraine Huff of 3300 block of B. Street
philadelphia, SEPTA, fraud, local/state
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's