DA: 8 faked SEPTA crash claims (PHOTOS)
PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight people have been charged for allegedly faking injuries following a minor SEPTA bus crash, the Philadelphia District Attorney's office announced on Thursday.
Of those charged, only two people were actually on the bus when the accident happened, District Attorney Seth Williams said in a statement.
The accident happened back on December 23rd, 2009. The bus was stopped at 15th and Walnut streets when the right mirror of a passing Loomis armored car hit the left mirror of the SEPTA bus.
The armored car was not damaged, and the bus had just a scratch, Williams said.
At the time, no passengers reported injuries.
However, all of the accused retained the same attorney to file bodily injury claims, Williams said, and were treated at the Center City Medical Center for alleged injuries including back and neck pain. The combined medical bills totaled $80,000, according to Williams.
Williams went on to say that one of the suspects, 46-year-old Eric Lovett of the 2200 block of North 17th Street, who is seen on video to be outside the bus, requested an "incident card" from the driver. He then allegedly went on to recruit five others and convinced them to file false insurance claims.
Williams said the defendant's attorney also sued the Brinks Company, mistakenly believing it to be the owner of the armored car. Even after being informed that the car belonged to Loomis, the defendants' attorney still pursued the claim against Brinks.
Charged with Criminal Conspiracy, Attempted Theft by Deception and Insurance Fraud are:
46-year-old Eric Lovett of 2200 block of N. 17th Street
48-year-old Kitt Smith of the 1500 block of S. Stillman Street
56-year-old Avis Jackson of 1200 block of S. 31st Street
36-year-old Stephanie Williams of 2200 block of N. 17th Street
21-year-old Malik Spivey of 900 block of W. Champlost Ave
Charged with Criminal Conspiracy, Attempted Theft by Deception, Insurance Fraud, Perjury and Unsworn Falsification are:
55-year old Arthur Whaley of 1300 block of Wells Street
46-year-old Faith Rowley of 1200 block of S. 31st Street
45-year-old Lorraine Huff of 3300 block of B. Street
philadelphia, SEPTA, fraud, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 58 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 30 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 14 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 30 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 3 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 54 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
3 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
54 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
25 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos