Mother accused of killing child jailed
RALEIGH -- A mother is now in jail charged with murdering her two-year-old son at a Raleigh hotel.
The charge against Michelle Harpster had been pending for two weeks while she recovered from what police say was a suicide attempt.
Harpster was wheeled in to face a magistrate Thursday. The magistrate explained the charges against her and told Harpster that she would be held without bond.
The 29-year-old mother is accused of murdering her two-year-old son at the Super 8 Motel on New Bern Avenue. Police were called to the motel two weeks ago. They found the little boy dead and Harpster bleeding from her arms and legs. Police also found razor blades in the room and believe she tried to commit suicide.
The boy's father in Florida had been fighting in court for custody of Joshua Callahan, who would have turned three next month.
Mark Callahan believes Harpster found out he had won an appeal in the case and was seeking revenge.
"Now she can face the punishment because if you die that's the easy way out," said Callahan. "I believe one of the reasons people commit suicide -- they don't want to face the punishment."
Harpster is currently being held without bond.
Harpster was upgraded to good condition Thursday at WakeMed.
wake county, local/state, ed crump
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies