CO scare forces evacuations in Old City
OLD CITY - October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A carbon monoxide scare sparked some evacuations Friday morning in the Old City section of Philadelphia.
The incident was reported around 10:30 a.m. inside a business in the 300 block of Market Street.
Authorities say a welding crew was working in one of the buildings. Their welding equipment was powered by a gas generator that was inside the building.
That generator was letting out the carbon monoxide but it couldn't escape due to poor ventilation.
The workers shut down the generator.
Firefighters arrived and found the CO levels were below dangerous levels.
Three apartments were evacuated but those residents are now allowed back into their homes.
philadelphia, old city, carbon monoxide, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list