Still no trace of Evesham Twp. hit-and-run victim
EVESHAM TWP., N.J. - October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- The search continues for the victim of a hit and run mystery in Evesham Township, New Jersey.
An 81-year-old Cherry Hill man says he hit a person on the road, but the victim is nowhere to be found.
Around 8:15 Tuesday evening, the driver was stopped while driving erratically on East Main near Knox Boulevard.
Police noticed front end damage and later found traces of blondish brown human hair on the 1997 silver Ford Taurus.
On Friday the police search continued with dogs. The hope is that their sensitive noses might pick up some clue.
It's estimated in the last three days, that 50 miles of Evesham Township roadside has been searched by officers.
The sense is the victim is not lying somewhere in the township.
"After today for Evesham Township, we are not going to continue with dogs and ATV patrols. We've hit all of our roadways and all our embankments," said Sgt. Joseph Friel.
Who was hit by the elderly driver and where that happened remains a mystery. Police are certain it happened during 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm on Tuesday night, not before.
"We're very confident, from the Cherry Hill video, that when he left the mall at 6:18 pm there was no damage on that vehicle. The damage had to occur from the time he left the mall to the time he was stopped by our Evesham police officer," said Sgt Friel.
Police say the 81-year-old driver is still unable to tell them what roads he took that night but he does mention a certain destination.
"He does at one point talk about visiting a restaurant in Medford. I don't want to give the specific restaurant but he has recalled that and there are times when he felt as if that's where he was headed that night," said Sgt. Friel.
Police have checked with hospitals and missing persons reports, but so far, nothing has turned up.
Anyone with information is being asked to call police at 856-983-1111.
new jersey, burlington county, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 45 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 48 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 55 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 6 min ago
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
45 min ago