Still no trace of Evesham Twp. hit-and-run victim
EVESHAM TWP., N.J. - October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- The search continues for the victim of a hit and run mystery in Evesham Township, New Jersey.
An 81-year-old Cherry Hill man says he hit a person on the road, but the victim is nowhere to be found.
Around 8:15 Tuesday evening, the driver was stopped while driving erratically on East Main near Knox Boulevard.
Police noticed front end damage and later found traces of blondish brown human hair on the 1997 silver Ford Taurus.
On Friday the police search continued with dogs. The hope is that their sensitive noses might pick up some clue.
It's estimated in the last three days, that 50 miles of Evesham Township roadside has been searched by officers.
The sense is the victim is not lying somewhere in the township.
"After today for Evesham Township, we are not going to continue with dogs and ATV patrols. We've hit all of our roadways and all our embankments," said Sgt. Joseph Friel.
Who was hit by the elderly driver and where that happened remains a mystery. Police are certain it happened during 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm on Tuesday night, not before.
"We're very confident, from the Cherry Hill video, that when he left the mall at 6:18 pm there was no damage on that vehicle. The damage had to occur from the time he left the mall to the time he was stopped by our Evesham police officer," said Sgt Friel.
Police say the 81-year-old driver is still unable to tell them what roads he took that night but he does mention a certain destination.
"He does at one point talk about visiting a restaurant in Medford. I don't want to give the specific restaurant but he has recalled that and there are times when he felt as if that's where he was headed that night," said Sgt. Friel.
Police have checked with hospitals and missing persons reports, but so far, nothing has turned up.
Anyone with information is being asked to call police at 856-983-1111.
new jersey, burlington county, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run