Prosecutors: Man gets life for stabbing inmate 92 times
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - October 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man has been sentenced to life in prison in the jailhouse killing of a mobster who once testified on behalf of Mafia heir John "Junior" Gotti.
Forty-six-year-old Allen Archie Hurley was sentenced Friday in federal court in in the April 2010 stabbing death of 43-year-old Joseph O'Kane in the federal prison in Wayne County
Prosecutors said Hurley stabbed O'Kane in the head 92 times. Jurors in June acquitted him of second-degree murder but convicted him of voluntary manslaughter and illegal weapon possession.
Hurley testified during his federal court trial in Scranton that O'Kane had threatened to kill him and his family. He has vowed an appeal.
The (Scranton) Times-Tribune says he said Friday "I defended my life, my liberty" and whistled loudly as he was escorted out.
Information from: The Times-Tribune
pennsylvania, stabbing, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 8 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 32 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
59 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
8 min ago