Gunfire at Pa. youth football game injures 3
PITTSBURGH (AP) - October 13, 2012 -- Gunfire at a youth football game in the Pittsburgh area sent three people to the hospital, two of them in critical condition, police said.
Commander Thomas Stangrecki of the Pittsburgh police department said some kind of fight broke out in the stands at the field in the East Liberty neighborhood shortly after 10 a.m. Saturday.
One man was shot three times in the chest and a woman was shot in the abdomen, and both were taken to UPMC Presbyterian in critical condition, he said. Another woman shot in the arm was also taken to a hospital.
The game at the field adjacent to the former Peabody High School, now the Pittsburgh Obama International Studies Academy, was between 6- and 7-year-old players from the East End Raiders and a team from Wilkinsburg.
One of the East End coaches, Don Peters, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that people started screaming and scrambling out of the stands as one of the injured women fell down several stairs.
"This ruined everything for 5,000 children" in the youth league, he said.
"I thought it was fireworks -we often do that," Garrett Barnett, coach of the Wilkinsburg team, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Everything got real quiet, and then real noisy. Kids were crying, they were all scared."
No suspects were immediately arrested, Stangrecki said.
Commander Sheryl Doubt said, head of the East Liberty police station, told reporters that the gunfire apparently stemmed from an argument the day before in Wilkinsburg that continued on social media overnight, but she didn't know what the dispute was about.
"It doesn't matter to me what it was about," Doubt said. "It was probably something very petty, because that seems to be the trend."
shooting, pittsburgh, pennsylvania, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 23 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar