First meningitis case in Pa. linked to outbreak
HARRISBURG, Pa. - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania Department of Health reported the state's first case of fungal meningitis linked to the national outbreak from contaminated medication.
The DOH said the patient was given an epidural steroid injection in July 2012 and was identified as part of ongoing record review and patient follow-up at Allegheny Pain Management in Altoona.
The patient, who is currently hospitalized, is receiving the care and medications recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to treat the specific fungal infections linked to this outbreak.
Meanwhile, no illnesses have been found to date at the South Hills Pain Clinic in Allegheny County, the second location that received a shipment of the steroid medication, department officials said.
"We have been working directly with the clinics to ensure that patients who received these injections are monitored and receive any necessary follow-up," said Acting Secretary of Health Michael Wolf in a written statement. "There are no other medical facilities in Pennsylvania that received or used the contaminated medication."
More than 200 people have been sickened, including 15 who have died.
The contaminated medication was produced by the New England Compounding Center in Framingham, Mass.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
pennsylvania, meningitis, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 19 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 2 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 41 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
33 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
19 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
2 min ago