First meningitis case in Pa. linked to outbreak
HARRISBURG, Pa. - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania Department of Health reported the state's first case of fungal meningitis linked to the national outbreak from contaminated medication.
The DOH said the patient was given an epidural steroid injection in July 2012 and was identified as part of ongoing record review and patient follow-up at Allegheny Pain Management in Altoona.
The patient, who is currently hospitalized, is receiving the care and medications recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to treat the specific fungal infections linked to this outbreak.
Meanwhile, no illnesses have been found to date at the South Hills Pain Clinic in Allegheny County, the second location that received a shipment of the steroid medication, department officials said.
"We have been working directly with the clinics to ensure that patients who received these injections are monitored and receive any necessary follow-up," said Acting Secretary of Health Michael Wolf in a written statement. "There are no other medical facilities in Pennsylvania that received or used the contaminated medication."
More than 200 people have been sickened, including 15 who have died.
The contaminated medication was produced by the New England Compounding Center in Framingham, Mass.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
pennsylvania, meningitis, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 38 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 2 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 6 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
50 min ago
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
38 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar...
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos