DA: Baby burned by dad in critical condition
OXFORD, Pa. - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Chester County man is facing a number of charges for allegedly burning his 1-month-old baby girl, leaving her in critical condition.
Jorge Colon, 20, of Oxford, Pa. is charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, and related charges.
The child has previously been diagnosed with colic after her parents sought medical attention because of her continued crying.
Police say Colon has two children with the baby's mother, who was taking a shower during the incident on Saturday.
Colon was giving the baby a bath in the sink, investigators say, when the child started crying.
Colon became frustrated, lost his temper and, according to police, turned the water up to a scalding hot temperature as the baby screamed.
He then wrapped the baby in a towel but, when he removed the towel, saw the baby's skin was peeling from the burns.
Colon and the baby's mother took the child to Jennersville Regional Hospital. The baby was then transferred to the Burn Unit at Crozer-Chester Medical Center where she remains in critical condition.
The baby suffered first and second degree burns over 40% of her body, the D.A. said.
In a written statement, Oxford Police Chief John Slauch said, "I have been a police officer for 38 years. This is one of the worst cases of child abuse I have ever seen in Chester County."
District Attorney Tom Hogan said, "As a prosecutor, I am outraged that anybody would harm a baby. As a father, I am deeply saddened and disturbed that a father could do this to his own daughter."
Colon is being held on $125,000 bail.
pennsylvania, chester county, child abuse, local/state
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 2 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
2 min ago