Arson suspected in string of NE Phila. car fires
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - October 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Handicap accessible vans are vital to the PATH organization and now because of an arsonist, Jeff Brown says they have lost two vans.
"These particular vehicles are for people with disabilities, to get them to and from their daily programs, which is a must. It's somewhere they have to go and something they enjoy," said Brown.
Replacing the vans will take time and cost a lot money for the community organization.
"The difficulty is to get handicapped lift vehicles quickly. They take months to retro-fit to get to your doorstep," said Brown.
The two PATH vans were destroyed in one of several suspicious car fires that happened in a short span.
Authorities believe the string of arsons started on the 8200 block of Castor Avenue just before 3:30 Sunday morning.
In about 30 minutes the people responsible worked their way through a neighborhood of Northeast Philadelphia setting ablaze six vehicles in five separate locations.
Paul Sims - one of the victims - says his wife saw their Chevy Trailblazer engulfed in flames.
"I'd really like to get my hands on the person who did this," said Sims.
The ATF is hoping to get their hands on the person responsible too. They are asking for help.
"Get us the info, we'll track down. The most innocent seeming info that someone sees could be something for us to follow up on," said one ATF official.
Anyone with information is urged to contact ATF at 888-ATF-FIRE.
Meanwhile anyone interested in helping PATH to replace their vans can visit PATHCENTER.org.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, fire, local/state
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing 33 min ago
- One Fine Friday 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey 18 min ago
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos 14 min ago
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 60 hospitalized 55 min ago
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- 3 sought for robbery of 15-year-old
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make...
33 min ago
- One Fine Friday
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos