'Routine' traffic stop yields 10 pounds of marijuana
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Wilmington, Delaware say a routine traffic stop led to the seizure of 10 pounds of marijuana and the arrest of a convicted drug offender.
Police say it was approximately 9:35 Tuesday night when officers observed a green four door sedan spin its tires on the 200 block of E. 12th Street, creating a loud screeching sound. After a quick check it was found that the vehicle was unregistered.
Officers conducted a traffic stop, and upon approaching the car police found the driver attempting to conceal something under the driver seat.
The driver, identified as 35-year-old Richard Dillard of Appleby Road in New Castle, was escorted out of the vehicle. A search under the seat revealed a sandwich bag containing marijuana.
Dillard's person was then searched, at which time officers located $1,384 cash. He was placed in custody without incident.
Officers called for a tow truck to impound the vehicle due to being unregistered. During a routine inventory search of the vehicle, officers located one pound of marijuana inside of an open book bag in the rear seat. As the search continued the officers located two five-gallon buckets containing a total of nine pounds of marijuana.
The street value for the amount of marijuana found is estimated to be worth $50,000.
Dillard, who is a convicted drug offender, is charged with Trafficking Marijuana, Possession with Intent to Deliver, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Improper Take Off, Unregistered Motor Vehicle, and Driving with No Insurance.
wilmington, delaware, marijuana, illegal drugs, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 32 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case 21 min ago
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia