Ex-Pa. teacher gets 20 to 40 years in sex case
LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) - October 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former central Pennsylvania teacher has been sentenced to 20 to 40 years in prison on convictions related to sexual relationships with two teenagers, including one from the school where she worked.
Thirty-four-year-old former McCaskey High School teacher Christy Lee Smith was convicted in Lancaster County of 18 of 22 counts involving relationships with teens between 2008 and 2010.
Prosecutors said one teen met Smith through school, the other through a dance class.
The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era says Judge Dennis Reinaker said Wednesday that Smith was a good teacher but "proved incapable of knowing where to draw the line" with students.
Smith declined comment in court. Defense attorney Merrill Spahn said she didn't agree with the verdict and asked the judge to consider her good works.
sex, teachers, teens, sentencing, pennsylvania, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police