New stores, restaurants opening on South Street
PHILADELPHIA - October 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A variety of new stores and restaurants have begun moving in to the Headhouse District of South Philadelphia, filling up vacant store fronts.
One of those new businesses, The Lite Choice, is set to open this weekend in a vacant bank. Jim Robertson, his dad and cousin will be offering organically-flavored and gluten-free soft serve ice cream.
"I think we settled on South Street because we're seeing a bit of a revival down here. There used to be a bit more vacant properties and we think that it's kind of coming back," Robertson said. "There's a lot more growth and new business here."
Michael Harris, the new executive director of the South Street Headhouse District, says the vacant properties will continue to fill up with several new restaurants.
"We have Steve Starr announcing his next restaurant will be in our district. Serpico, we're thrilled by that, at 6th and South," Harris said.
At 4th and South, the owners of the old Copabanana are opening Redwood, a wine and beer bistro.
"We're doing a 24 'wines by the glass' bar, 100 different kinds of bottled beer," said Dan Christensen of Redwood.
Harris says he wants people to know that this is not only a unique slice of Philadelphia, but a growing business district.
"We have businesses investing in the area, and expanding in the area, and it's a fantastic place for both neighbors and tourists alike," he said.
Coming up next weekend is the upgraded Pumpkinland Fesitval, which will include a circus and the Hot Club of Philly jazz band.
philadelphia, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 11 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 1 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 13 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 5 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 52 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
13 min ago