Man charged with DUI in Newark, Del. hit-and-run
NEWARK, Del. - October 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware say a man from Newark was drunk when his vehicle struck a 21-year-old woman near the University of Delaware... and then he took off.
The incident happened around 12:15 a.m. Saturday on East Cleveland Avenue.
Officers tell Action News that the woman, who is from Morristown, Camden County, was walking on the roadway just next to the curb when a 2001 Dodge Dakota pickup truck driven by 46-year-old Errol Johnson slammed into her.
Two 19-year-old women were also struck by debris during the crash. Those two, identified as University of Delaware students, were not seriously hurt.
At last check, the young woman who was run-over was listed in serious, but stable condition.
Witnesses managed to get the tag number on the pickup truck as it drove away from the scene. The vehicle was located a short time later in the driveway of Johnson's home, located nearby.
Johnson, who was still in the vehicle, was arrested and is now facing a number of charges, including DUI.
accident, pedestrian struck, newark, delaware, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos