Man charged with DUI in Newark, Del. hit-and-run
NEWARK, Del. - October 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware say a man from Newark was drunk when his vehicle struck a 21-year-old woman near the University of Delaware... and then he took off.
The incident happened around 12:15 a.m. Saturday on East Cleveland Avenue.
Officers tell Action News that the woman, who is from Morristown, Camden County, was walking on the roadway just next to the curb when a 2001 Dodge Dakota pickup truck driven by 46-year-old Errol Johnson slammed into her.
Two 19-year-old women were also struck by debris during the crash. Those two, identified as University of Delaware students, were not seriously hurt.
At last check, the young woman who was run-over was listed in serious, but stable condition.
Witnesses managed to get the tag number on the pickup truck as it drove away from the scene. The vehicle was located a short time later in the driveway of Johnson's home, located nearby.
Johnson, who was still in the vehicle, was arrested and is now facing a number of charges, including DUI.
accident, pedestrian struck, newark, delaware, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 36 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Video: Prankster glues woman to Home Depot toilet
- Nelson Mandela lies in state in Pretoria,...
6 min ago