Culprit in massive Oct. 4 train delays: A squirrel
WOODLAND PARK, N.J. - October 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- They are the bane of homeowners everywhere for their habit of raiding bird feeders, but who knew squirrels had the power to bring an entire transit system to a standstill?
Apparently that's what one wayward squirrel did earlier this month, according to an Amtrak spokesman.
While thousands of commuters cursed the fates and blamed aging infrastructure of the delays during the evening commute on Oct. 4, the real culprit was a squirrel that came into contact with a circuit-breaker, Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole told The Record of Woodland Park.
The circuit-breaker damage caused an electrical transformer to trip and a signal that guides locomotive engineers to go dark.
"It's like if you're going through a highway or a street and the traffic lights go out," Cole said. "When those go dark you have no way of knowing whether it's safe to go."
Nearly 100 NJ Transit trains and 30 Amtrak trains were affected. Some were canceled, and others were delayed.
Train experts say animals rarely cause widespread train delays but that this squirrel wasn't the first.
A Metro-North Railroad spokeswoman told the newspaper a 45-minute delay in May occurred when a squirrel caused a transformer to short out. Cole said other problems have been caused by pigeons and raccoons.
Cole said Amtrak has been installing higher security fences and using other measures over the years to keep out animal intruders, but the critters still are able to get into restricted areas on rare occasions.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.), http://www.northjersey.com
new jersey, new jersey transit, amtrak, travel, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 17 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 51 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 50 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 57 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
37 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos