Man charged in 'suspicious' 3-alarm fire in Camden Co.
GLOUCESTER CITY, N.J. - October 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say they've taken a man into custody in connection to a 'suspicious' 3-alarm fire in Camden County.
Tito Diaz Jr. has so far been charged with risking widespread damage.
The fire started around 3:15 Sunday morning at a vacant home on the 400 block of Market Street in Gloucester City.
"As soon as I came outside flames were shooting out everywhere, they started on these houses then the breeze blew it to these houses," said Chester Harden.
Arriving crews were met with fire pouring from the 3rd floor and the flames quickly spread to at least two neighboring homes.
Police confirmed that Diaz was staying in the vacant home and that he responsible for setting the blaze. Authorities are not sure if it was intentional.
"I heard banging on the door and I saw flames coming through the window," said Crystal Webb.
With nearly 80 firefighters on the scene, the fire was brought under control around 6:00 a.m. It did cause extensive damage to one of the homes.
"When I came home I came home to this, nothing its horrible," said Marilyn Zieger.
On Sunday afternoon, gas crews worked to cut the gas line so the city can demolish the vacant home where the fire started.
Many homes in the area are split up into apartments. At least nine people were displaced during the blaze and are getting assistance from the Red Cross.
new jersey, camden county, fire, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ