Pa. student sues over sex tape suspension
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania high school student claims he was unfairly punished after a fellow student secretly recorded him having sex with his girlfriend in a Casablanca hotel during a school trip.
Sixteen-year-old Anders Hemdal filed a federal civil rights suit last week against Schuylkill Valley School District, saying his four-day suspension wasn't appropriate because he did nothing wrong during a Spanish club trip in April.
Hemdal's suit says he and his then-girlfriend were humiliated when they learned of the recording. All three students were punished after the school learned of the tape.
Hemdal's suit claims he was punished for actions not prohibited in the school's code of conduct because the contact wasn't on school property. A student behavior slip Hemdal signed for the trip acknowledges sexual activity is cause to be sent home.
School officials did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment Monday.
teens, sex, school, pennsylvania, local/state
- 911 calls from Newtown, CT shooting released 1 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 50 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera 58 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion