Dog that attacked postal worker put down
STANTON, Del. - October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- The dog that attacked a postal worker, who later died, has been put down.
That dog, a German shepherd, was euthanized on Friday by the Kent County, Delaware SPCA. The dog is being tested for rabies and officials hope to have those results by Tuesday.
Further charges against the dog owner are pending.
The postal worker, identified by SPCA officials as Robert Rochester, 55, of New Castle, died on Wednesday night. His exact cause of death has not been released.
Police previously said he had been seriously injured.
The attack happened around 4:15 p.m. Friday, October 12th in the area of Argonne Avenue and Main Street in Stanton, Delaware.
Delaware State Police responded to the report of two people bitten. A state trooper arrived and found two dogs attacking a smaller dog.
The officer fired his weapon at the animals, ending the attack. One dog, a German Shepherd, was shot and wounded.
Police say Rochester was attacked by the German shepherd before the incident and suffered multiple wounds from dog bites.
A 51-year-old woman suffered a dog bite to her upper body but refused treatment at the scene.
Both dogs involved in the attack were taken by the Kent County SPCA and provided with veterinary care. The dog that was attacked remained with its owner.
The owner of the attacking dogs, who has not been named, was charged with having a vicious dog unrestrained, and faces a fine, and also stipulations on keeping the dogs if found guilty.
delaware, new castle county, animal attacks, animals, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 23 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 36 min ago