Dog that attacked postal worker put down
STANTON, Del. - October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- The dog that attacked a postal worker, who later died, has been put down.
That dog, a German shepherd, was euthanized on Friday by the Kent County, Delaware SPCA. The dog is being tested for rabies and officials hope to have those results by Tuesday.
Further charges against the dog owner are pending.
The postal worker, identified by SPCA officials as Robert Rochester, 55, of New Castle, died on Wednesday night. His exact cause of death has not been released.
Police previously said he had been seriously injured.
The attack happened around 4:15 p.m. Friday, October 12th in the area of Argonne Avenue and Main Street in Stanton, Delaware.
Delaware State Police responded to the report of two people bitten. A state trooper arrived and found two dogs attacking a smaller dog.
The officer fired his weapon at the animals, ending the attack. One dog, a German Shepherd, was shot and wounded.
Police say Rochester was attacked by the German shepherd before the incident and suffered multiple wounds from dog bites.
A 51-year-old woman suffered a dog bite to her upper body but refused treatment at the scene.
Both dogs involved in the attack were taken by the Kent County SPCA and provided with veterinary care. The dog that was attacked remained with its owner.
The owner of the attacking dogs, who has not been named, was charged with having a vicious dog unrestrained, and faces a fine, and also stipulations on keeping the dogs if found guilty.
delaware, new castle county, animal attacks, animals, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 56 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 42 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 59 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 52 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 54 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 50 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
59 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
56 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
54 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
52 min ago