Truck tire crashes into car of Delco couple
MEDIA, Pa. - October 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County couple is sharing their story of survival after a bizarre crash. A tire flew off a truck, and hit their car before landing on a roof Monday.
"It was a horrible moment," said Ahyeon Baek."
It was horrible for Ahyeon Baek and her husband Kiwon Lee. He was driving their Honda Accord east on the Schuylkill Monday morning around 9:30 a.m. when suddenly a runaway tractor-trailer tire broad-sided them on the passenger side.
Ahyeon is 7-months pregnant. Fortunately both were wearing seat belts.
"I just saw the tire in a split minute, the tire hit our car," she said.
Ahyeon was covered with shattered glass. It was even inside her mouth.
"She was crying, and I was trying to figure out what happened to us," said Kiwon Lee.
By the time they regained their senses they were surrounded by fire rescue, police and ambulances.
Ahyeon was worried about the health of her baby. She was rushed to the hospital where she was kept overnight.
"My baby looks good," said Ahyeon.
These newlyweds were married only 18 months ago in their South Korean homeland. They came here right after their wedding.
He is a researcher at Children's Hospital.
They were on their way to her English class in Center City when the tire hit them.
"I realize we are so fortunate because we are not injured," said Kiwon.
The investigation by state police continues, and a meeting and inspection of the tractor-trailer believed to be the one involved is being set up.
Investigators must match the tire to the vehicle
At this point, the tractor-trailer driver does not appear to be in deep hot water. He will most likely be hit with a summary offense for driving with an unsecured tire.
Ahyeon and Kiwon are hesitant to call their relatives back home. They are concerned the details of the accident will only disturb their family as they head into the final two months of the pregnancy.
"I hope it never happens again to other people," Kiwon said.
accident, media, pennsylvania, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey 5 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing 5 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA