2nd Cheltenham HS student hit by car in a week
CHELTENHAM TWP., Pa. - October 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Cheltenham High School student remains hospitalized Thursday night after being hit by a car near the school.
It is the second accident involving a student in just one week.
"We have to be more aware of the rules while we are crossing the street; look both ways," said Pat Lagagneur.
As students prepared for dismissal at Cheltenham High School Thursday, many of them were thinking about the second traffic tragedy to hit the school in a week.
18-year-old Matti Hollow, a cross country runner, was seriously injured while jogging Wednesday.
Police say he ignored the stop light and was hit when he ran into heavy traffic at the busy intersection of Easton Road and Limekiln Pike. He is currently listed in stable condition.
9th grader Dajanique Brown-Rogers was killed last Monday when she tried to cross New 2nd Street and Clarion Avenue to get to her bus in the dark before school started. She was hit by two cars.
The school district has brought in crisis counselors for the student body and the teachers.
"It's sad because I ride the bus that she was on, and to pass by the stop is kind of sad sometimes. Some kids and the bus driver still seem kind of shaken up," said Tahj Hall.
Cheltenham police chief says the problem is not a shortage of traffic lights or cross paths or highly visible safety instructions. They are all in place. He says the kids have to follow the rules.
"Cross at the crosswalk, look both ways, as you've been taught as a child, and then make your crossing. Cross where it's safe, not in mid-block where people can't see you, especially at night," said Chief John Norris.
"We should obey the rules more and be aware of where we are, and know like the busy streets and when to cross the streets," said Solomon Jackson.
The school is considering launching a safety awareness program.
accident, pennsylvania, local/state, vernon odom
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 25-year-old man shot dead in North Philadelphia 20 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville 22 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure