Del. police chase ends in crash, suspect arrested
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Wilmington police arrested a person after a brief chase that ended in a crash Wednesday morning.
At approximately 9:15 a.m. a man reported his truck was stolen while he worked on a residence in the 900 block of North Franklin Street.
Minutes later, police observed the vehicle, driven by 32-year-old Frederick Saunders.
Police say Saunders refused to stop the vehicle and a pursuit ensued.
The pursuit ended when Saunders lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a deck behind a residence in the 800 block of Windsor Street. Saunders then fled on foot, but was apprehended by officers after a foot chase.
Police say Saunders continued to resist arrest and attempted to remove a Taser from a police officer. He was taken into custody after a brief struggle.
Following his arrest officers located a hypodermic needle on his person.
Authorities say Saunders is a convicted felon with previous drug and theft convictions and is currently on probation.
He was taken to Wilmington Hospital where he was treated and released.
He is currently being held at Wilmington Police Headquarters awaiting arraignment.
accident, theft, police chase, wilmington, delaware, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 55 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 54 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
41 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos