Del. police chase ends in crash, suspect arrested
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Wilmington police arrested a person after a brief chase that ended in a crash Wednesday morning.
At approximately 9:15 a.m. a man reported his truck was stolen while he worked on a residence in the 900 block of North Franklin Street.
Minutes later, police observed the vehicle, driven by 32-year-old Frederick Saunders.
Police say Saunders refused to stop the vehicle and a pursuit ensued.
The pursuit ended when Saunders lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a deck behind a residence in the 800 block of Windsor Street. Saunders then fled on foot, but was apprehended by officers after a foot chase.
Police say Saunders continued to resist arrest and attempted to remove a Taser from a police officer. He was taken into custody after a brief struggle.
Following his arrest officers located a hypodermic needle on his person.
Authorities say Saunders is a convicted felon with previous drug and theft convictions and is currently on probation.
He was taken to Wilmington Hospital where he was treated and released.
He is currently being held at Wilmington Police Headquarters awaiting arraignment.
accident, theft, police chase, wilmington, delaware, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 5 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 7 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos