Teen struck and killed by car in Delaware identified
BEAR, DELAWARE - October 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the teenager struck by a car and killed in New Castle County, Delaware Wednesday night.
Investigators say 15-year-old Christiana Townsley of Manheim, Pa. was trying to cross the westbound lanes of Pulaski Highway (Route 40), west of Quintillo Drive, at about 9:30 p.m.
As she ran north from the grass median onto the roadway, police say, she was struck by a 2008 Nissan Altima, which was traveling westbound in the center lane.
The Nissan was driven by Katelyn Nelson, 25, of Elkton, Maryland.
Townsley was taken to Christiana Hospital Trauma Center where she died overnight.
Police say Nelson was wearing a selt belt and was not injured. She stopped after the accident happened and has not been charged.
The westbound lanes of Pulaski Highway were closed for approximately 1.5 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.
accident, teens, pedestrian struck, delaware, local/state
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 33 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber