Pa. man gets at least 4 years in shaken baby death
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) -October 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A northeastern Pennsylvania man has been ordered to spend at least four years in prison for fatally shaking his 7-week-old son because he wouldn't stop crying.
Twenty-four-year-old Michael Nice expressed grief at Wednesday's sentencing hearing, saying he thinks about his son Leon "every night."
Nice pleaded guilty in August to involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the death at a West Scranton home authorities described as filthy and strewn with animal feces. He could spent up to nine years in prison.
The Times-Tribune of Scranton reports Nice grabbed the child by the neck and shook him in August 2011 because he wouldn't stop crying.
The boy's mother, Elizabeth Crandall, calls her fiance a good man. The couple also has an older son together.
baby death, sentencing, pennsylvania, local/state
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ 28 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos