Pa. man gets at least 4 years in shaken baby death
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) -October 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A northeastern Pennsylvania man has been ordered to spend at least four years in prison for fatally shaking his 7-week-old son because he wouldn't stop crying.
Twenty-four-year-old Michael Nice expressed grief at Wednesday's sentencing hearing, saying he thinks about his son Leon "every night."
Nice pleaded guilty in August to involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the death at a West Scranton home authorities described as filthy and strewn with animal feces. He could spent up to nine years in prison.
The Times-Tribune of Scranton reports Nice grabbed the child by the neck and shook him in August 2011 because he wouldn't stop crying.
The boy's mother, Elizabeth Crandall, calls her fiance a good man. The couple also has an older son together.
baby death, sentencing, pennsylvania, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 7 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire 49 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos