Area residents stock up on storm supplies
PHILADELPHIA - October 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware Valley residents are getting a head start stocking up and preparing for the impending storm.
Experts say have enough food and water to last at least 72 hours. Also have cash and batteries on hand.
Trim trees and shrubs around your home, and bring in outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans or anything that could become a projectile in the storm.
Cover your home's windows; storm shutters and plywood are best. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
If you live in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
Local grocery stores are likely to be very busy over the weekend.
Local residents are hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
At stores across the region there was a run on such items as bottled water and eggs keeping clerks busy trying to restock shelves.
"We are getting our water, our bread here, and we're going to get more flashlights, batteries and all to have for the home," said Pat Ferrell.
With the potential for damaging winds and wide-spread power failures, there was also a run on generators. Many of the local Home Depots and Loews have already sold out.
Dennis Defino of Aldan was able to rent one of three still available at the Home Depot in South Philadelphia.
"I called around to a bunch of stores in Delaware County and they all sold out, and they don't have any to rent. Luckily I called the store down here, came over here from work and they actually have a few left," Defino said.
Flashlights, batteries, duct tape, wet vacs and sump pumps were among the other items people were stocking up on.
"It was busy, we had lines going all the way back, people just looking for stuff," said Ray Coyle from Home Depot.
Max Gallashaw was stocking up on battery powered portable LED lights and rope to tie things down.
"We have to be careful, but again my prayers are that it will pass by," said Gallashaw.
"I'm ready for it," said Bill Lamar. "I got my row boat just in case at my apartment."
hurricanes and tropical storms, philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 10 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos