Mayor: Phila. back in business Wednesday
PHILADELPHIA - October 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Mayor Nutter has lifted the State of Emergency, declaring that all of city government will resume Wednesday morning.
"The city of Philadelphia will be open for business tomorrow," said Mayor Michael Nutter.
Even trash collection which will be on its regular schedule.
"Those who have Monday or Tuesday collections should hold their materials until next Monday or Tuesday," said Clarena Tolson of the Streets Department.
Those students looking for the extended weekend to continue are out of luck. Philadelphia public, Archdiocesan and charter schools are set to reopen at their regular time.
"We will expect some very minimal delays with some our yellow bus transportation as they try and navigate the city," said Dr. William Hite, Superintendent of Schools.
Father Judge High School, however, will be closed due to lack of power at the school.
The key development for all this was SEPTA's earlier than expected return to action.
The Broad Sreet Line, Market Frankford El, buses and trolleys were operational Tuesday afternoon in the city and suburbs.
SEPTA also announced that the Regional Rail lines will be in full operation by Wednesday.
"This is a spectacular achievement by SEPTA to get all that service up in a relatively short period of time," said Mayor Nutter.
Amtrak, on the other hand, will have a modified schedule in its Northeast regional operations. However due to problems in the Big Apple there will not be direct service to New York Penn Station.
philadelphia, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, hurricane sandy, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 35 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 21 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 23 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 33 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 24 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 26 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 13 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 32 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 34 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
26 min ago