Bulkheads on bay, ocean breached in Longport, NJ
LONGPORT, N.J. - October 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Mayor of Longport, New Jersey told Action News that bulkheads on both the bay and the ocean were breached during Sandy.
Mayor Nick Russo showed us the giant piles of sand that crews have already removed from the streets at the south end of Longport.
"We have a tremendous amount of sand that has been displaced from the ocean side into the streets. In some places, 9, 10, 12 inches of sand," Russo said.
Russo is ordering evacuated residents to stay away, as emergency vehicles and a dump truck have already gotten stuck in the wet sand.
But that is hardly the only problem on Absecon Island. Along the causeway leading to the Longport Bridge, a half-dozen utility poles toppled onto the roadway in Sandy's high winds.
The heavy rain and high tides led to lots of flooding, especially in beach blocks, and sometimes even in the second blocks from the beach. A water line could be seen on a garage at 38th Avenue on the far side of Atlantic.
On Kenyon, the bulkhead washed away entirely so that at high tide, nothing stopped the water from rushing toward Atlantic Avenue.
hurricane sandy, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, new jersey, hurricane sandy - nj shore, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 45 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 31 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 45 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 45 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 45 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 28 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 44 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 45 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
45 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
45 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
44 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
25 min ago