Sandusky moved to prison in SW Pa.
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - October 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jerry Sandusky is serving his child molestation prison sentence in far southwestern Pennsylvania, at an institution that includes most of the state's death row inmates.
The Corrections Department announced Wednesday the former Penn State assistant football coach was transferred to Greene State Prison after being evaluated at a facility outside Harrisburg.
Prison officials say he'll be placed in protective custody because of the nature of his crimes and his high profile.
The 68-year-old Sandusky was convicted this summer of 45 criminal counts for sexual abuse of 10 boys over 15 years. He maintains he is innocent and is pursuing appeals.
He's serving a 30- to 60-year sentence that means he's likely to die in prison.
jerry sandusky, pennsylvania state university, pennsylvania, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 5 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 58 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 48 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
20 min ago