Transformer blast evacuates Montco nursing home
UPPER MORELAND TWP., Pa. - October 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a transformer explosion prompted a brief evacuation of dozens of patients from a nursing home in Upper Moreland Township.
The explosion at the Luther Park home of the Gloria Dei complex in Upper Moreland Township was reported shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Fire Marshal Bob Drennen told The (Doylestown) Intelligencer that 73 patients, most of them in wheelchairs, were taken to another building on the grounds.
Drennen said the facility had been running on a generator at the time of the blast. He said that when firefighters arrived, flames were shooting high into the air and touching the side of a wing of the home.
The patients were able to return to the facility later that afternoon. There were no reported injuries.
Information from: The Intelligencer
pennsylvania, montgomery county, local/state
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 19 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 2 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 15 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 17 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 13 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures