Transformer blast evacuates Montco nursing home
UPPER MORELAND TWP., Pa. - October 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a transformer explosion prompted a brief evacuation of dozens of patients from a nursing home in Upper Moreland Township.
The explosion at the Luther Park home of the Gloria Dei complex in Upper Moreland Township was reported shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Fire Marshal Bob Drennen told The (Doylestown) Intelligencer that 73 patients, most of them in wheelchairs, were taken to another building on the grounds.
Drennen said the facility had been running on a generator at the time of the blast. He said that when firefighters arrived, flames were shooting high into the air and touching the side of a wing of the home.
The patients were able to return to the facility later that afternoon. There were no reported injuries.
Information from: The Intelligencer
pennsylvania, montgomery county, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 15 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 54 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 51 min ago