Fires Rage in Mantoloking, New Jersey
MANTOLOKING, N.J. - October 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey shore town that suffered severe damage during superstorm Sandy is fighting a huge fire this morning after an apparent gas-main explosion.
The cut-off barrier island of Mantoloking, N.J., was beset by a large cluster of flames and smaller fires that quickly spread across the island, WABC-TV reported.
Video shows several structures burned to the ground. The exact size of the fire is unclear.
Authorities believe a gas main might have exploded and quickly spread across the island, WABC reported. The small town of Mantoloking sits between the Atlantic Ocean and the Barnegat Bay.
There were no firefighters at the scene because they were unable to cross the storm-damaged roads at the Mantoloking Bridge, the fire department in Bricktown, N.J., confirmed to ABC News.
Fire officials said they are figuring out how to get to the scene this morning.
Several homes were destroyed and continued to burn, but it is unclear whether the homes were destroyed by the fire or explosion, or before it, WABC reported.
Sandy destroyed about 14 homes in the town, according to The Associated Press.
fire, ocean county, new jersey, hurricane sandy, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 56 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ 9 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Rare fish found off Delaware River
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
2 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
56 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
5 min ago