Action News, Red Cross partner for Sandy telethon
PHILADELPHIA - November 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News partnered with the Red Cross to hold an event we called Neighbors Helping Neighbors.
It was kind of a telethon to enable viewers to express their generosity and compassion for victims of Sandy.
Philadelphia celebrities like former Philadelphia Eagle Vince Papale donated their time to help 6abc and the American Red Cross host a telethon to send direct aid to Sandy disaster victims.
"91 cents of every dollar goes straight to the community to help put people back on their feet," said Renee Hughes, CEO of the Southeastern Division of the American Red Cross.
For two and a half hours, volunteers and familiar faces manned the phones.
"It's been an incredible evening of generosity and there's still more to come," Action News reporter and telethon host Sarah Bloomquist.
6abc viewers stepped up in a big way.
"I had one lady who actually lost power and still hasn't gotten power back, and she made a donation of $150," said Vince Papale.
The Red Cross says $25 alone can buy 5 blankets.
The telethon brought in tens of thousands of dollars in just a couple of hours for the American Red Cross relief efforts.
"The best way to get support and assistance is through the Red Cross," said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter. "The aid is going to get there. They are experts at what they do, and we need you to support their efforts."
Former 76ers President Pat Croce is a big fan of the organization, and he stopped by on his birthday to prove it.
"When we are all sleeping and resting in our beds, the Red Cross is out there helping others in need, and right now there are a lot of people in need," Croce said.
From power executive to power forward, 76ers center Spenser Hawes dropped in to donate $16,000, based on the 16 points he scored in Wednesday night's home opener.
"To be able to give back just a little bit to the people that need so much, it means a lot," said Hawes. "I'm just glad I had a good game to go to a great cause."
In addition to the 6abc telethon, Disney and ABC Television is dedicating Monday as a "Day of Giving" across local and nation programming.
We will be encouraging viewers to join us and make a donation to the Red Cross Neighbors Helping Neighbors recover from storm Sandy.
philadelphia, hurricane sandy, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricanes and tropical storms, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 1 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 13 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 33 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos