Cleanup efforts begin for Sea Isle City
SEA ISLE CITY, N.J. - November 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Cleanup efforts begin for Sea Isle City residents Thursday as Governor Christie lifts mandatory evacuation orders.
Inside Dock Mike's in Sea Isle City they are planning for an all night cleanup. The carpet is being ripped out and the building dried.
"The building looked like the water came up from bottom and took the floor up. We kind of have a disaster inside. We're taking the floor up, replacing the carpet and the whole floor," said Mike Tramutolo.
The flat sidewalks of Sea Isle have turned into hills of wet furniture, carpet and other belongings.
Cheryl Herzog cleaned up her mess. There was a foot of water in her garage, and her refrigerator went out, but that was about it.
"We were really blessed for being the second house off the beach," said Cheryl Herzog. "We had water all the way back; it was about a foot and a half to two feet."
A big concern for many homeowners is mold.
Drywall must be cut out and 2x4's dried. That was the case at city hall which took on 2 to 3 feet of water.
Sea Isle City Mayor Leonard Desiderio was lending a helping hand to help get the town back in business Thursday night.
"We are very, very fortunate, and we will be able to rebuild and make Sea Isle better than ever," said Mayor Leonard Desiderio.
Gov. Chris Christie lifted some of his mandatory evacuation orders in two southern New Jersey counties.
The governor on Thursday granted requests from Atlantic and Cape May county officials to allow people back on some barrier island communities.
Cape May County has lifted its evacuation order for the Wildwoods, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Sea Isle City and Ocean City. Residents also have been allowed to return to Brigantine Beach, Margate City and Longport Borough in Atlantic County.
Atlantic City and Ventnor remain off-limits at the request of municipal officials, who say public health and safety issues remain.
hurricane sandy, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricanes and tropical storms, jersey shore, new jersey, local/state, chad pradelli
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 41 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 13 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
13 min ago