Store owner killed in New Castle Co. ID'd
NEWPORT, Del. - November 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A store owner was stabbed and killed during a robbery in New Castle County.
Hemantkumar Maganlal Chauhan, 57, of Newport, was known to his customers as Harry.
He was killed at 7:15 p.m. Friday at the Pen Bantam Market located at 418 Newport Gap Pike.
State Police say Chauhan was confronted by a man armed with a knife.
The suspect jumped behind the counter and demanded money. A struggle ensued and the suspect stabbed Chauhan in the chest.
The assailant then fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash.
Chauhan was taken to Christiana Hospital Trauma Center where he was pronounced dead.
Chauhan's nephew, Vikesh, said his uncle always helped his customers.
"He's helping people all the time. Somebody don't have the money, said 'I'll pay later on,' he's always fine with them," said Vikesh Chauhan. "If somebody didn't have the change or was short a dollar, he'd say 'Don't worry about that.'"
Investigators are reviewing surveillance video hoping to identify the armed man.
The suspect is described as a black male who was last seen wearing dark clothing with a mask covering his face.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Delaware State Police at 302-531-5891. Information can also be submitted to Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com
delaware, new castle county, homicide, stabbing, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states 44 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township 39 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Phillies rally for 3-2 win over Reds
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos