Tuckerton, NJ residents return to damaged homes
TUCKERTON, N.J. - November 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a grim scene from above in Tuckerton Borough, Ocean County as residents returned home to survey the damage left by Sandy.
The town of a little more than 3,000 took a body blow from Hurricane Sandy last week.
In an exclusive ride along with the mayor of Tuckerton Action News got a first look at the town around the same time most residents did.
Many homes were flattened and completely destroyed, while many boats remain submerged in the water.
80-year-old Helen Mossor lost her home, but almost lost something even more valuable.
"My house is down there, but we found an urn with my husband's ashes in it," she said.
Someone searched through the wreckage and found the urn.
Mossor says 2012 has been rough.
"I lost my husband in February and my house in October 2012," said Mossor.
Crews also found a picture of what Mossor's home looked like before Sandy. It is something she doesn't know if she will see again.
Emergency Management Coordinator Harold Spedding greeting worried residents Saturday morning. People had to show proof of residence before entering.
"Finally able to let residents and boat owners in, and they are allowed to bring contractors or anything they need," said Spedding.
Out of all the shore towns, Tuckerton residents are coming home to very little.
"We've lost 38 homes, totally destroyed, 285 homes with massive destruction and another 250 that have minor damage," said Mayor George "Buck" Evans.
Mayor Evans now has the job of comforting residents in their worst hour while looking ahead with a promise to rebuild.
"I'm just happy for 2013," he told them. "We will rebuild Tuckerton; we will rebuild it."
hurricane sandy, hurricane sandy - nj shore, new jersey, local/state, jennifer joyce
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 37 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos