Recovery process begins for Ocean City residents
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - November 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- The long road to recovery continues down at the shore as residents of Ocean City begin to recover.
A surfer it the waves Saturday and people took walks along the beach. Ocean City, New Jersey looked like it was getting back to normal until you see the devastation.
Most of the city looks like a giant construction project. Many volunteers worked with shovels and rakes alongside backhoes and front end loaders moving sand that the ocean carried into the neighborhoods during the storm.
"Some areas still have flooding," said John Rice, a church volunteer. "We've been asking homeowners what they need if they need any help."
27 young teenagers from the Victory Assembly of God in Elmer, New Jersey worked with members of Ocean City Baptist Church to residents clean up.
"We wanted to see what we could do. We piled up some cars and headed down here," said Rice.
57th and Central Avenue was an area where the ocean met the bay leaving the streets covered with sand. Residents who have summer homes there got a first look at what was left behind.
"You can't believe the devastation the ocean can do," said Joann Dolan. "Now it's so calm."
Joann and Bob Dolan came to see their shore house for the first time Saturday.
Governor Chris Christie lifted the order allowing residents back on Thursday. Many full time residents rushed back on Thursday, but many part-time residents didn't make it until Saturday.
"We came in last night, we're blessed, the water came in only this much of the front door," said Michelle Morrison.
Flooding, debris and heavy sand are expected to take some time to remove, and repairs to structural damage could take even longer.
But it is the help of strangers that has touched so many in Ocean City.
ocean city, new jersey, local/state
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 3 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 36 min ago
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 10 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
3 min ago