From Sandy to nor'easter, Brigantine braces
BRIGANTINE, N.J. - November 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- For the people of Brigantine still working on getting their lives back together after Sandy, they have to put that on hold and prepare for a nor'easter.
It was a standing room only crowd at the Brigantine North School auditorium as residents met with local and FEMA officials.
Residents impacted by Sandy were learning how to apply to get help and who qualifies.
Officials were also urging residents to start planning for the storm ahead due to hit on Wednesday.
Emergency management officials are concerned that Brigantine lost quite a bit of their sand dune lines which naturally protect them from the ocean surge.
"I was watching your station earlier and Cecily put one thing up where it may go a little to the north of us, that would be a best case scenario I'd say; if it comes right at us, there's a distinct possibility we're gonna have more flooding from the ocean," Jim Bennett of Brigantine OEM said.
Some residents say they're going to tie things down and ride this one out, others say they are heading out.
"I'm staying, I'm staying for this one," resident Patricia Welz said.
"Well, one thing I'm gonna move my car because I already lost two cars in prior storms so my car will be moved to higher ground," resident Loretta Smith said.
Officials say they are not planning any evacuations and there are no plans to set up shelters because they are presently filled with goods for those impacted by Sandy.
nor'easter, hurricane sandy, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, new jersey, local/state, dann cuellar
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 1 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem 38 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester 25 min ago
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar 31 min ago
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor