ME: Boy bled to death from Pittsburgh zoo attack
PITTSBURGH - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- The medical examiner's office says a 2-year-old boy who died in the Pittsburgh zoo's African wild dog exhibit bled to death after he was mauled by the animals.
Police and officials at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium are continuing to investigate the death of Maddox Derkosh, which happened Sunday after he fell from a wooden railing overlooking the painted dogs exhibit.
The Whitehall boy's funeral is Friday and his parents are asking friends, relatives and other mourners to donate toy construction trucks in the boy's name, which will be given to a Christmas children's charity.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner has yet to rule on the manner of the boy's death - that is, whether it was an accident or not - until police determine whether anyone will be charged.
The boy's family has not commented.
children, pennsylvania, pittsburgh, animals, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police