Philly marathon opens 3,000 slots for NYC entrants
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Marathon has opened an additional 3,000 slots for runners who were unable to compete in the canceled New York City Marathon.
Officials said competitors who were registered for last weekend's New York City race can enter a lottery to register for the sold-out Nov. 18 race in Philadelphia. Entries will be accepted Wednesday and until 5 p.m. Thursday, and a computer will randomly select as many as 3,000 people.
Mayor Michael Nutter said Tuesday that marathoners invested a lot of time, training and dedication to run in the Nov. 4 New York City event, which was canceled following damage to the city by superstorm Sandy.
Nutter said adding as many as 3,000 competitors was "something we can do to support the running community."
philadelphia, new york, new york city, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 29 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 42 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 57 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
55 min ago