Train collides with tractor-trailer in Newark, Del.
NEWARK, Del. - November 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Newark police say a tractor-trailer driver has been critically injured when a freight train hit his rig.
The police investigation determined the crossing gate at West Main and Elkton came down on the UPS tractor trailer just before 2:00 p.m.Friday afternoon, and the CSX freight train struck the passenger side of the cab as the driver tried pulling away.
42-year-old Joseph C. Mounts of Felton was trapped in the wreckage, and it took more than 20 minutes before he was pulled out.
Police say Mounts had made a delivery and had gotten back into the truck when a CSX train approached.
He was taken to the hospital where he is listed in critically injured.
delaware, newark, accident, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 17 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 23 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 15 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm