Train collides with tractor-trailer in Newark, Del.
NEWARK, Del. - November 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Newark police say a tractor-trailer driver has been critically injured when a freight train hit his rig.
The police investigation determined the crossing gate at West Main and Elkton came down on the UPS tractor trailer just before 2:00 p.m.Friday afternoon, and the CSX freight train struck the passenger side of the cab as the driver tried pulling away.
42-year-old Joseph C. Mounts of Felton was trapped in the wreckage, and it took more than 20 minutes before he was pulled out.
Police say Mounts had made a delivery and had gotten back into the truck when a CSX train approached.
He was taken to the hospital where he is listed in critically injured.
delaware, newark, accident, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 20 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
46 min ago
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze
20 min ago