Veterans honored, celebrated across the area
PHILADELPHIA - November 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Throughout the region, people are saluting our nation's veterans for their sacrifice in serving our country.
The official City of Philadelphia Veterans Day ceremony was held at Washington Square, a revolutionary war cemetery.
Mayor Michael Nutter laid a wreath and spoke of the important sacrifice made by those who serve.
"These are freedoms we enjoy that only come from the struggle and toil veterans give on a daily basis," said Mayor Nutter.
In Lawncrest, community members gathered with members of the VFW and the American legion for another wreath-laying.
Vietnam vet Bill Clark says tributes like this are appreciated.
"It's important not only for the veteran himself, the family of the veteran and America also. It's very important that we thank everyone who at some point in their life fought to defend our country," said Clark.
All in attendance agreed that ceremonies like this are important. However some say that unfortunately this level of appreciation isn't shown enough.
"I think as citizens, we all have to remember our veterans, who have done so much for us in the past and present. It's a shame we only do it once a year, it should be done 365," said Cathy Wersinger.
At the National Constitution Center the morning started with a flag-raising and continued with a wreath-laying.
In addition, the center is offering free admission to all active duty service men and women and veterans. Veteran's Day activities will continue until 4:00 pm.
Later Sunday afternoon, Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey will be teaming up with philanthropist Kal Rudman to serve a free buffet tailgate for Vets at Lincoln Financial field, prior to the Eagles-Dallas game kickoff.
Click here for more info on other freebies for Veteran's Day.
philadelphia, veterans, local/state, amy buckman
- Names released of Oklahoma tornado victims 6 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club 35 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 34 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 42 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip...
35 min ago
- Names released of Oklahoma tornado victims
6 min ago