Suspect in deadly DUI crash held on $500,000 bail
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- The suspect in an alleged DUI crash that left two men dead is being held on $500,000 bail.
The Philadelphia District Attorney's office announced on Wednesday that Robert Bregenzer, 33, of the 3100 Block of Knorr Street, is charged with DUI, Homicide by Vehicle while DUI and related charges.
A preliminary hearing was set for November 28th.
According to police, Bregenzer was driving a GMC Yukon and ran a red light while driving east on Saint Vincent. His SUV then struck a Honda broadside.
The impact knocked the Honda into the opposite lane, where it collided head-on with a Jeep.
The two victims in the Honda were pronounced dead at the scene. The driver has been identified as 35-year-old Liang Pan of the 2100 block of Unruh Street. The passenger has been identified as 58-year-old Zhuoru Chin of the 6700 block of Akron Street.
"It was just a shock. I couldn't sleep all night," Pan's cousin Pauline Liu told Action News Tuesday.
Pauline says Pan leaves behind a 1-year-old daughter and his wife who is 4 months pregnant.
"He was the only source of income for the family. She's a new immigrant. She doesn't have any job experience. There's no way of supporting herself,"
Bregenzer, who was not injured, was arrested at the scene for DUI. Police say they found drugs and drug paraphernalia inside the GMC.
"He appeared highly impaired, so he was arrested at the scene," said Chief Inspector Scott Small of the Philadelphia Police.
"The guy seemed to be a nice guy. He always kept to himself. He never caused any problems around here. For me, it's shocking," suspect's neighbor James Tipton said. The driver of the Jeep suffered bumps and bruises.
Meantime, Pauline Liu says the worst part is how her cousin was just settling in to life in America.
"With his wife coming to US, it was just like a big addition to our already big family and now that we lost someone very important in our big family, it's just devastating for everyone," Liu said.
accident, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man