School bus involved in GSP crash failed inspection (PHOTOS)
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that the bus involved in Monday's crash on the Garden State Parkway failed an inspection last month.
The crash happened around 3:30 p.m. Monday in Egg Harbor Township. The students were heading home from Atlantic City to their Somers Point campus when the crash occurred.
Some of the students who spoke with Action News say at mile marker 34 they felt a tire blow out.
"The bus started swifting back and forth and we went off the road and the bus almost flipped over," student Jarrett Jasper said.
The screams started, and the bus driver, 54-year-old Christine Williams, started praying.
"We hit everything and everyone just stampeded off the bus, books were left. It was a wild scene," student Kayzie Burgos said.
22 students were taken to Atlantic City Regional Medical Center where many were released Monday evening. Several others were taken to Shore Memorial in Somers Point.
Regarding the cause of the crash, New Jersey State Police refused comment Tuesday, citing an ongoing investigation.
Photos suggest the left rear wheel assembly did come off the bus.
Tom Dugan is the president of Safety Bus.
"I believe it did come off," he told Action News. "How or why, I do not know. I don't know why or what the situation was."
Among the safety checks required before picking up students are the lug nuts holding the wheels tight. In addition, when tires are put on, Dugan says bright paint is used to help detect any loosening of those lug nuts.
He confirmed bus 20057 failed a semi-annual state safety inspection October 18th. At least one of its right rear tires did not have sufficient tread.
The tire was quickly replaced and the bus returned to service that day. Company records indicate at least one of its left rear tires was replaced Oct 12th.
If you want to check the inspection status of your child's school bus, click on this link to New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Commission's website.
new jersey, atlantic county, school bus, accident, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ